Thursday, February 21, 2013

Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole

Looking for an absolutely mind-blowing book on the Underground Railroad? Did I mention that it is a true picture book--- as in wordless? Did I happen to tell you that the illustrations are some of the most attention-grabbing drawings I have seen in a long time?

I could go on and on, but you owe it to yourself to track this one down. Absolutely breathtaking. And just to make us want to know him more, author Henry Cole writes in his Author's Notes "...I wanted to tell-- or show---the courage of everyday people who were brave in quiet ways."

I often talk of the people I teach as brilliant. Doesn't matter if they are young kindergartners or graduate students. What matters is their brilliance, their amazing wisdom, presence, and grace as they maneuver learning. This Henry Cole was a teacher. I can imagine how brilliant he is through this text, as a learner, a writer, and a human. And brave.

Unspoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment