Saturday, May 7, 2011

Water For Elephants

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen was by far one of the best books that I have read this year. It's also one of the best books that I have read that is set in the time of the Great Depression. I thought that it was extremely heartfelt, heart wrenching, and fascinating. I really enjoyed it. I thought that it was very well written and captivated the reader. I also loved how the character was an old man and remembering back to his young adulthood in the circus. It is a book that I could read again and again. From the first sentence I was sucked in.

When Jacob Jankowski's parents die in a terrible accident while he is in his final exam at Cornell to become a veterinarian, he knows that he must leave this life that is slowly crumbling to pieces. He hops on a train which turns out to be a traveling circus called BENZINI BROS MOST SPECTACULAR SHOW ON EARTH. Jacob's world changes at once. He finds himself getting a job as a veterinarian for the circus and realizing that this was what he was meant to do. But then, he falls in love with his boss August's wife, Marlena. He is suddenly exposed to August and his abusive side, while trying to fight for Marlena and her safety. With the help of Rosie an elephant, Jacob learns to find his way.

This was a book was very intense and brought tears to my eyes, and I thoroughly enjoyed to the fullest.

I will end this with a quote from the book:

It's only when I catch Rosie actually purring under August's loving ministrations that my conviction starts to crumble. And what I'm left looking at in its place is a terrible thing. Maybe it was me. Maybe I wanted to hate him because I'm in love with his wife, and if that's the case, what kind of a man does that make me?

- page 229-230

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the device of using the prologue later in the story. And I loved the ending - it was perfect for the story, even though it's implausible and unbelievable. Sometimes that just doesn't matter. Sometimes it works anyway. Everything about this book worked for me.

    top voted San Antonio Maid Service site info

    ReplyDelete