Sunday, May 3, 2015

Three Bird Summer by Sara St. Antoine

I think summer's call must be loud right now for me. I keep stumbling into these amazing sounding books, I get them home, I begin to read, and I lose interest. I abandon one book after another, looking for some unknown storyline....or is it unknown? Maybe it includes a cabin on a lake, the home older and full of one's family history. Maybe it includes teenagers who yearn for time to make sense of all that is coming at them--in school, family, and life. Maybe it includes canoeing, time on the water, and treasure maps. Maybe it includes a summer I yearn for: a rustic cabin on the lake, canoes, sleeping, reading, exploring, watching nature, time, more glorious time, friends, time with friends, time alone, and lots and lots of time in the water every day. Maybe my spirit just wants to recalibrate in a way like Adam gets to.


I loved reading Three Bird Summer. I so want to be in this cabin, well any cabin on a lake, for the summer. But the way St. Antoine lays out this cabin, with the story of who lives there and why, makes it all the more enticing. Adam seeks out the annual summer stay at his grandmother's cabin, albeit this year without extended family because his parents divorced. His mother hovers over he and his grandmother, determined to set a course she can control. Adam devises his own way to work around his mother, albeit in a way that makes total sense and maintains his integrity. He meets a stellar, kind, down-to-earth new friend-who-happens-to-be-a-girl, and they end up hanging out alot. Then there is this treasure map Adam finds. And these mysterious notes. And his grandmother's confusion. And there is water, lots of lake water: for playing on and in, for getting away from crazy-family life, and for witnessing animals in a whole new way.

Looking for a summer read before summer arrives? Try out Three Bird Summer. And may all of your summer dreams come true! Maybe this book is just what I have been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment