Thursday, February 2, 2012

Marching for Freedom by Elizabeth Partridge


I stumbled onto this gem last week at the library. I love books that tell the truth of a difficult time without lessening the weight of the time period.I know this is difficult for young readers-- heck, the Civil Rights Movement continues to be difficult for adults! But this book brought this quiet to my inner conversation around the march and I really appreciated that.

This nonfiction hardback details the march from Selma to Montgomery in 1965. Stories of that experience fill the pages in pictures and words, with the level of detail remarkable. The back photo of Dr. King and his wife leading and holding hands is gorgeous, the photo of Rosa Parks addressing a crowd remarkable, and the photos of the mornings breaking camp insightful. I loved that there are new-to-me photos here-- I just haven't seen such a thorough children's book on this topic before. I loved that the stories are written in such starkness, simply telling the facts from the marchers perspective with truth, conviction.

It is hard for me to write about this book even though I loved it. It feels like such an important book and topic that my words aren't enough for it. I don't know how to honor it except to say read Marching for Freedom. It is beyond worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment