Friday, March 7, 2014

counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan


I really appreciate Holly Goldberg Sloan's writing style. She eases the reader in with this gentle way of storytelling. Pretty soon, you don't even know what hit you; you DO know however that you will be searching for moments to sneak off into a quiet space and read. Just like in I'll Be There, her first novel that I reviewed earlier, counting by 7s grabs on and won't let go. At least it did that to me.

The basic storyline could be labeled a middle-schooler loses her parents and works with others to rediscover her inner center. Or the storyline could be outlier finds her way to community. Or engaged young scientist grows relationships with surprising people around her. Or dozens of other frames....all of these things happen. And most of them occur with the surprising rhythm that Sloan crafts into her books.

I was quietly captivated by this book. Not hit over the head but quietly, always quietly. Kinda like with her first book. I look forward to reading more from Goldberg  Sloan. I think I have a lot to learn from her as a writer-- good excuse to read more of her stuff, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment