Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Marvels by Brian Selznick


What a  sweet surprise this book was! I know how folks raved about The Invention of Hugo Cabret and some of his other texts, but I never got around to reading them. If The Marvels is anything like his other books, I will indeed search his work out.

The first half of The Marvels is all sketchings, the second half mostly text. Amazingly, brilliantly the author must have intended for my brain to connect pictures to words and words to pictures over and again because that is what it did. The basic storyline surprised me, and the ending blew me out of the water. I like graphic novels, but I have never read one like this, this combination of written and drawn messages. At least not like this.



Are you searching for an unpredictable book? Are you hoping to find a blending of young-coming-of-age and life-can-be-really-important-and-amazing-and-worth-the-struggle novel? Are you seeking a text that will create a story in your mind and your mouth at the same time, all launching you into knowing in your very being? Read The Marvels.

No comments:

Post a Comment