Friday, June 17, 2011

Grandpappy Snippy Snappies by Lynn Plourde

For those of you who know me personally, you well know of my love of books that cross generations. I love Karen Hesse's Cats from Krasinski Square, Dennis Haseley's A Story for Bear, and anything by Byrd Baylor. You might know that I used Mary Oliver poems with my kindergarten students and within my graduate courses, and I am always trying to read young adult books that span greater audiences than just those 17-year-old teens. Even my partner suggests that I am, at times, too serious. So knowing that it is summer and the sun is actually shining here in Portland (summer doesn't technically start here until July 5th so you can bet we are overjoyed!), I thought I would take a risk and read something a little lighter.

Lynn Plourde's writing often carries a whimsical, humorous energy to it. Her picture book series of the seasons is a rich one, offering both an energetic inroads to each season but also deep rhyme and message. Grandpappy Snippy Snappy is flat out funny, reminding me in loose ways of Farmer McPeepers and His Missing Milk Cows by Katy Duffield. If you haven't read that, stop reading and run, run to the library. It is hysterical!

But I digress.

Grandpappy Snippy Snappy offers readers a playful entrance into alliteration, all with the tease of Grandpappy and his unique way of rescuing others in distress. The illustrations by Christopher Santoroare marvelous, and I loved how spacious the page design is. The pictures certainly made me take my time on each page, and I love how few words she includes on each page. I have to admit: this is the first time I actually searched where Timbuktu really is (and from the illustration, Lynn and Christopher know too. I enjoyed the whimsical, playful, light happiness of this book.

Now I wonder what I can do to bring a little Grandpappy Snippy Snappy into our lives! I know of at least one of my elders who wears suspenders every day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment