Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Storm Called Katrina by Myron Uhlberg





I love it when I pick up fantastic books at the library. That happened the last time I went-- I ended up with 4 fantastic picture books!! Yes, in addition to Mirror, which I love, love, love, I found this book. Saweet!! Uhlberg's writing is so gently unrelenting that I couldn't stop reading, and Colin Bootman, the illustrator, absolutely offers dramatic support to an important story.

A Storm Called Katrina focuses on one boy's family who must leave their flooded home because of the levee breaking during Katrina. Having nowhere to go, they end up at the Superdome with thousands of other displaced families. Louis' father leaves to find food and the 10-year-old stays with his mother in the Superbowl, the huge, gigantic, thousands-of-seats Superbowl. After awhile, when the father doesn't return, the boy believes it is because the father can't find them, a common issue from the stories I read about that time period. Taking the issue in his own hands, Louis found his own way to find his father, offering a unique step forward for the storyline.

I really enjoyed this book. Learning more about what it could have been like really like those days and nights during and after such a life-changing disaster as Hurricane Katrina. This would be a great book to share with readers who are looking for a book about resilience, history about Katrina, or how families find their own unique ways to stay together.




No comments:

Post a Comment