Friday, August 19, 2016

Property of the State by Bill Cameron


Every so often I run across a book that surprises me in a unique way. The setting occurs in my backyard, literally, as I visit Mt. Tabor every few days, various coffee shops nearby sound amazingly like what the author writes of in his story, and many of the streets I walk, bike, and drive daily. I loved being able to visualize where the story was taking place as I read. A powerful choice by the author for certain! At least to me.

Joey is in foster care, and after years of struggle, is jonesing to get out on his own. The only problem to him seems to be the system. He would prefer doing everything on his own and believes that everyone is out to stop his quest. As most YA novels go, there is some predictability in this story, meaning that there are several adults I could easily consider throttling throughout the story. Joey is a crafty lad, and he understands loss in a way that blew my mind. He is kind and curious too, and the storyline walks us through his attempts to connect with others. Adults misuse him and his friends who are foster children as well. And yet they survive. They figure out how to keep walking through. and for that, even in the midst of treacherous storylines and lives, he keeps going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment